DCGS Research Meetings
DCGS Research Meeting are held the first and third Tuesdays of the month. If you would like to be added the the calendar invite, please email Theresa Champion.
- We are taking a break for the summer and will resume our research meetings in September...stayed tuned.
- June 2022: "Giving Better Presentations and The Power of Visuals", Karl Bates
- May 2022: "AGS Presentations", Shelley McDonald & Daniel Parker
- April 2022: “Innovative Model to Provide Evidence-Based Multimodal Management of Neck and Back Pain in Older Adults in the Emergency Department (Multi-OED)”, Corey Simon, DPT, PhD & Stephanie Eucker, MD, PhD; "Age as an Independent Predictor of Microvascular Complications",Russel R. Kahmke, MD, MMCi, FACS
- March 2022: "TKA, Disparities, and Beyond...a work in progress", William (Bill) Bryan III
- February 2022: Duke CTSI Integrating Special Populations Core: Making Clinical Research Inclusive; Ting Yang, “The brain microvasculature changes in postoperative delirium”
- September 2021: Karthik Raghunathan, "Perioperative Music Medicine"
- June 2021: Panelists - Regina L. Woody, BSN, RN, Manager, Surgical Quality Performance Services at Duke Health; Jana Cooper-Slifko, FNP-BC, Geriatric Surgery Verification Program Manager, Rochester Regional Health; Matthew Schiralli, MD, Vice President of Medical Staff at Newark-Wayne Community Hospital, Rochester Regional Health; Juliessa M. Pavon, MD, MHS, Associate Professor, Division of Geriatrics at Duke Health, SOLAR Dashboard Champion; Christopher Vail, PA-C, MMCi, Duke Surgery, Director of Clinical Informatics, Trauma Physician Assistant, Maestro Care Provider Champion, Surgery; Jana Cooper-Slifko, FNP-BC, Geriatric Surgery Verification Program Manager, Rochester Regional Health "Panel Discussion on Lessons Learned and Best Practices for Clinical Data Capture"
- May 2021: Daniel Parker “Associations of Biological Age Advancement with Patient Characteristics in the 1000 Patient Project”; David Ming, MD “Caremap application in geriatric surgery populations”
- April 2021: Helen Hoenig “My VA Images Telehealth Mobile App: A Bedside –> Bench -> Bedside Story”
- March 2021: Lola Fayanju “Returning to Surgical “Normalcy” after COVID-19: The Potential for Provoking Existing Disparities”; Seth Cohen, "Dysphagia in the Elderly and Why We Should (Periop) Care"
- February 2021: Theresa Coles "Patient-Reported Outcomes in POSH”; Luna Ragsdale "Geriatric Emergency Room Innovations for Veterans"
- January 2021: Kathryn Starr "Nutritional Vulnerability: The Complexity of Preparing Older Veterans for Surgery”; Heather Whitson “Predicting Older Adults’ Resilience to Elective Surgery: The PRIME-KNEE Study”
- December 2020: Theresa Coles "Getting to Patient-Centered Care in a Post-COVID-19 Digital World"
- November 2020: Daniel Parker "Association of Multi-Indicator, Physiology-Based Measures of Biological Age with Surgical Outcomes in the 1KP"
- September 2020: Theresa Coles "Physical functioning: different definitions for different patients?"
Research Opportunities and Announcements
Duke Center for Geriatric Surgery Research Scholars Program
The DCGS Scholars Program provides funding of up to $20,000 per project for 12 months to catalyze investigations of key questions in geriatric surgical outcomes research. The goals of this program are to foster new collaborations among Duke researchers, support research teams in obtaining preliminary data that will be used to apply for larger awards, and provide opportunities for mentoring and training for junior faculty, residents and medical students.
- 2022 RFA coming soon
Testing Interventions for Health-Enhancing Physical Activity (R01 - Clinical Trial Optional) - PAR-18-324
Developing Interventions for Health-Enhancing Physical Activity (R21/R33 - Clinical Trial Optional) - PAR-18-307
Improving Patient Adherence to Treatment and Prevention Regimens to Promote Health (R01 Clinical Trial Optional) - PA-18-722
- Project CALM (Confusion Avoidance Led by Music) – Neema Sharda, MD
- Nutritional (High Protein) Perihabilitation in Older Veterans Undergoing Surgery (CDA-2) – Kathryn Starr, PhD, RD
- Physical Activity Trackers: Promising Tools to Promote Resilience in Older Surgical Patients – Miriam C. Morey, PhD
- Use of Duke Anesthesia Resistance Scale (DARS) To Predict Postoperative Delirium Among Older Adults Undergoing Elective Surgery – Miles Berger, MD, PhD
- Preoperative Cognitive Impairment as a Predictor of Postoperative Outcomes in a Collaborative Care Model – Kahli Zietlow, MD
- The Correlation of Cognitive Performance and Capacity to Consent for Elective Surgery
- Exploring Reasons for Postponement of Surgery
- POSH-DREAM: Optimized Collection of Delirium Risk Prediction & Management Data – Jeff Browndyke, PhD, Mitch Heflin, MD, Atilio Barbeito, MD
- PROMISE: Perioperative Risk Optimization with Machine learning for an Improved Surgical Experience – Elizabeth Lorenzi, Kristin Corey, Mark Sendak, Sehj Kashyap, Krista Whalen, Shelley McDonald, Madhav Swaminathan, Annemarie Thompson, Katherine Heller, Mitch Heflin and Sandhya Lagoo-Deenadayalan (Funded by Duke Institute for Health Innovation – DIHI)
- POSH Research Program (PowerPoint)
Kazaure HS, Lidsky ME, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. If the Patient Is Frail, Emergency Abdominal Surgery Is High Risk. JAMA Surg. 2021 Jan 1;156(1):74-75.
Zietlow KE, Wong S, McDonald SR, Colón-Emeric C, Cassas C, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Heflin MT. Perioperative Optimization of Senior Health (POSH): A Descriptive Analysis of Cancelled Surgery. World J Surg. 2021 Jan;45(1):109-115.
Zietlow KE, Oyeyemi DM, Cook SE, Hardy M, McDonald SR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Heflin MT, Whitson HE. RESEARCHCognition and Capacity to Consent for Elective Surgery. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Nov;68(11):2694-2696.
Wong SP, Sharda N, Zietlow KE, Heflin MT. Planning for a Safe Discharge: More Than a Capacity Evaluation. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Apr;68(4):859-866.
Aronson S, Murray S, Martin G, Blitz J, Crittenden T, Lipkin ME, Mantyh CR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Flanagan EM, Attarian DE, Mathew JP, Kirk AD. Roadmap for Transforming Preoperative Assessment to Preoperative Optimization. Anesth Analg. 2020 Apr; 130(4):811-819.
McDonald SR, Barbeito A, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Reframing Surgical Risk Using Geriatric Assessment Measures. JAMA Surg. 2020 Mar 11.
McDonald SR, Heflin MT, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Care Redesign for Emergency General Surgery in Older Adults. JAMA Surg. 2020 Feb 12.
Qassamali SR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, McDonald S, Morgan B, Goode V. The importance of the STOP- BANG questionnaire as a preoperative assessment tool for the elderly population. Geriatr Nurs. 2019 Aug 31.
Wong SP, Zietlow KM, McDonald SR, Barbeito A, Colon-Emeric CS, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Loyack N, Heflin MT. Delaying Elective Surgery in Geriatric Patients: An Opportunity for Preoperative Optimization. Anesth Analg. 2019 Jul 17.
Corey KM, Kashyap S, Lorenzi E, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Heller K, Whalen K, Balu S, Heflin MT, McDonald SR, Swaminathan M, Sendak M. Development and validation of machine learning models to identify high-risk surgical patients using automatically curated electronic health record data (Pythia): A retrospective, single-site study. PLoS medicine. 2018;15(11):e1002701
Berian JR, Baker TL, Rosenthal RA, Coleman J, Finlayson E, Katlic MR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Tang VL, Robinson TN, Ko CY, Russell MM. Application of the RAND-UCLA Appropriateness Methodology to a Large Multidisciplinary Stakeholder Group Evaluating the Validity and Feasibility of Patient-Centered Standards in Geriatric Surgery. Health Services Research, October 2018 53(5):3350-3372.
McDonald S, Heflin MT, Whitson HE, Dalton TO, Lidsky ME, Liu P, Poer CM, Sloane R, Thacker JM, White HK, Yanamadala M and Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Association of Integrated Care Coordination With Postsurgical Outcomes in High-Risk Older Adults: The Perioperative Optimization of Senior Health (POSH) Initiative. JAMA Surg, 2018 May 1;153(5):454-462
Zietlow K, McDonald SR, Sloane R, Browndyke J, Lagoo‐Deenadayalan SA, Heflin MT. Preoperative Cognitive Impairment As a Predictor of Postoperative Outcomes in a Collaborative Care Model. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. March 2018; 66(3):584-589.
Sharda N, Mattoon E, Matters L, Prewett J, McDonald S, Sloane R, Cassas C, White H. Bach to the Basics: Implementation and Impact of a Postoperative, Inpatient Personalized Music Program for Older Adults. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing. 2018.
Morey MC, Manning KM, Guo Y, McDonald SR, Heflin MT, Porter Starr KN, Sloane R, Loyack NL, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. (2018) Physical Activity Trackers: Promising Tools to Promote Resilience in Older Surgical Patients. J Surg: 2018 JSUR-1156. DOI: 10.29011/2575-9760. 001156 .
Aronson S, Westover J, Guinn N, Setji T, Wischmeyer P, Gular P, Hopkins T, Seyler TM, Lagoo-Deendayalan SA, Heflin MT, Thompson AM, Swaminathan M, Flanagan E. A Perioperative Medicine Model for Population Health; an integrated approach for an evolving clinical science. Anesthesia and Analesia, 2017 Nov 30.
Berian JR, Rosenthal RA, Baker TL, Coleman J, Finlayson E, Katlic MR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Tang VL, Robinson TN, Ko CY, Russell MM. Hospital Standards to Promote Optimal Surgical Care of the Older Adult: A Report from the Coalition for Quality in Geriatric Surgery. Annals of Surgery, February 2018 ;267(2):280-290
Adkar SS, Turley RS, Benrashid E, Lagoo S, Shortell CK, Mureebe L. Peri-operative Optimization of Geriatric Lowere extremity Bypass in the Era of Increased Performance Accountability. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017 Jan; 38:248-254.
Yen TE, Allen JC, Rivelli SK, Patterson SC, Metcalg MR, Flink BJ, MirrakhimovAE, Lagoo SA, Vail TP, Young CC, Moon RE, Trzepacz PT, Kwatra MM. Association between Serum IGF-I levels and Postoperative Delirium in Elderly Subjects Undergoing Elective Knee Arthroplasty. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb 5;6:20736.
Scarborough JE, Pappas TN, Bennett KM, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Reply to Letter: "Failure-to-pursue Rescue: Truly a Failure?" Ann Surg. 2015 Aug;262(2):e44.
Scarborough JE, Bennett K, Englum BR, Pappas TN, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. The Impact of Functional Dependency on Outcomes After Complex General and Vascular Surgery. Annals of Surgery. May 30, 2014.
Barbas AS, Haney JC, Henry BV, Heflin MT, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA., Development and implementation of a formalized geriatric surgery curriculum for general surgery residents Gerontology and Geriatric Education, 2014 Jan 21.
Cohen RR, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Heflin MT, Sloane R, Eisen I, Thacker JM, Whitson HE. Exploring predictors of complication in older surgical patients: a deficit accumulation index and the Braden scale. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012 Sep; 60(9):1609-15.
Barbas AS, Turley RS, Ceppa EP, Reddy SK, MD2, Blazer DG, Clary BM, MD, Pappas TN, MD, Tyler DS, White RR, MD, Lagoo SA. Comparison of the use of multi-modality therapy and outcomes between young and elderly patients undergoing surgical resection of pancreatic cancer. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 2012 Feb;60(2):344-50.
Reddy SK, Barbas AS, Turley RS, Gamblin TC, Geller DA, Marsh JW, Tsung A, Clary BM, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Major liver resection in elderly patients: a multi-institutional analysis. J Am Coll Surg 2011; May; 212(5):787-95.
Gan TJ, Diemunsch P,Habib AS, Kovac A, Kranke P, Meyer TA, Watcha M, Chung F, Angus S, Apfel CC, Bergese SD, Candiotti KA, Chan MTV, Davis PJ, Hooper VD, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Myles P, Nezat G, Philip BK, Tramer MR. Consensus Guidelines for the Management of Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2014;118:85–113.
Speicher PJ, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Galanos AN, Pappas TN, Scarborough JE. Expectations and outcomes in patients with do-not-resuscitate orders undergoing emergent surgical management of bowel obstruction. JAMA Surg. 2013 Jan; 148(1):23-8.
Lidsky ME, Marosky-Thacker JK, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA, Scarborough JE. Advanced age is an independent predictor for increased morbidity and mortality after emergent diverticulitis surgery. Surgery 2012 Sep; 152(3):465-72.
Scarborough JE, Pappas TN, Bennett KM, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SA. Failure-to-pursue rescue: explaining excess mortality in elderly emergency general surgical patients with preexisting “do-not-resuscitate” orders. Ann Surg. 2012 Sep; 256(3):453-61.