Why Duke Cardiothoracic Surgery?
Graduate Case Logs
During their training at Duke, residents acquire robust operative experience in complex cardiac and thoracic surgery. Click the links below to see the case logs of two recent Duke graduates.
Duke Annual Operative Volumes
- Lung cancer resection: 350-400
- Esophagectomy: 50-60
- Benign esophagus: 300
- Congenital heart surgery: 300-350
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG): 350
- Aortic valve replacement (AVR): 200
- Mitral valve replacement (MVR): 250
- Aortic surgery: 150
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): 250
- Pulmonary endarterectomy: 40-50
Duke Annual Transplant Volumes
Duke Health has the highest volume of thoracic organ transplants in the United States.
- Heart transplant: 100-120
- Lung transplant: 130-140
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): 200-250