A hybrid of various health services research (HSR) methodologies geared towards assessing the quality and effectiveness of surgical outcomes at a patient and population level. Surgical outcomes research not only involves research on the efficacy of various surgical procedures, but also involves examining the factors that can affect surgical outcomes. These factors include the epidemiologic, sociologic, economic, and other demographic variables concerning patients. The ultimate goal being to inform patients, care givers, medical personnel, and policy makers to allow for better health care decision making and health policy.
Duke SCORES (Surgical Center for Outcomes Research and Equity in Surgery) is a transdisciplinary effort that promotes excellence in HSR for various surgical patient populations. Duke SCORES serves as a hub for education, research, and mentorship to enable trainees and faculty to ask and answer questions with direct translational relevance to clinical care, health system operations and healthcare policy. Duke SCORES mission is to encourage and expand the level of Surgical Outcomes Research and Equity in Surgery within the Duke University Health System.
- Support surgical faculty and trainees interested in Health Services Research and provide the resources and skills to engage in outcomes research.
- Recognize excellence in surgical health services research by highlighting work done both within Duke and by nationally prominent visiting professors.
- Serve as the main point of contact for internal/external data by merging all department of Surgery data efforts under SCORES.
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial inter-departmental alliances including Medicine, Pediatrics, Orthopaedics, Anesthesiology, Population Health Sciences, DCRI and the School of Nursing.
- Become a self-sustainable program by way of grant support and industry, sponsored investigator-initiated research projects.
Duke SCORES hosts/sponsors events events throughout the year of interest to health services researchers and trainees. For more information about our events or to view previous events please browse our events page.
1st Friday Luncheon Series
- February 3: "Getting Started with Systematic Reviews" - Leila Ledbetter & Sarah Cantrell
- March3: TBD
Interdisciplinary Surgical Colloquia for Outcomes Research (ISCORe)
Returning in-person in 2023...details coming soon.
SCORES Stratigic Retreat
- TBD...early 2023
We've put together a comprehensive list of health sciences research resources from around the Web. Browse our resource list.
To learn more about Duke SCORES or for information on collaboration opportunities, please email us or call 919.684.1366.