Duke SCORES 1st Friday Luncheon Series
We will be taking a hiatus in July and August. We will return September 3rd with a hybrid (in-person/Zoom) lunch series.
- December 3, 2021: “Measuring and maximizing research impact” – Sarah Cantrell
- January 7, 2022: "Post Award Grants Management" - Melissa Murad
- November, 2021: "Preparing a K award" - Brandon Hall
- October 2021: “Effective Communication: Sentence and Story” – Joanna Downer
- September 2021: “Tracking scholarship: ORCID, NIH Biosketch, SciENcv, Personal Statements, NIH Public Access Policy Compliance” – Sarah Cantrell & Katherine Garman
- June 2021: "RedCap: What can it do, that helps!” – Ceci Chamorro, Data Team Manager, Duke Office of Clinical Research
- May 2021: "Building a Mentorship Team" - Chuck Scales, Lisa McElroy, Suresh Agarwal, Rachel Greenup, Krista Haines
- From The University of Washington’s Graduate School - Mentoring: A Guide for Students
- The American Journal of Medicine - Selecting a Mentor: A Guide for Residents, Fellows, and
- April 2021: "Writing for a Policy Audience" - Dean Storelli (slides)
- March 2021: "Section of Surgical Disciplines Data Management and HSR Resources" – Mary Beth Aschenbrenner & Keenan Caddell
- February 2021: "Utilizing Social Media for Promoting your Research" – Karl Bates
- January 2021: "Taking Charge of Your Promotional Development" - Rachel Greenup, MD, MPH
- December 2020:"Picking the Right Funding Mechanism" - Lauren G. Anderson, PhD
- November 2020: "Clinical Research DataMart (CRDM) for HSR Research" - Ben Goldstein
- October 2020 - "Navigating the Publishing Landscape: Open Access Models, Predatory Journals, and Where to Publish" - Megan von Isenburg & Sarah Cantrell (slides)
- September 2020 - "MarketScan 101" presenters from SCORES, the PopHealth DataShare, and other biostatisticians with Marketscan claims data experience shared lessons learned and brainstormed about the successful use of these data for health services research
- August 2020 - "MyRESEARCHNavigators" presented by Sunita Patil, Associate Director, Research Operations, CTSI
- July 2020 - "Navigating the New PubMed" presented by Sarah Cantrell, Associate Director for Research and Education at the Medical Center Library & Archives
- June 2020 - "Scholars@Duke Working Session to Improve Website Research Portfolio" presented by Lamont Cannon, Senior Outreach Coordinator, Scholars@Duke
- May 2020 - "Social Media & Online Presence" presented by Dana Reynolds, Sr. Media Relations Strategist
- March 2020 - "Communicating Your Science" presented by Karl Bates, Director of Research Communications
Duke SCORES Biostatistics Workshops
- February 2021: "Division of Surgical Sciences Biostatistics Access"
- December 2020: "The New Surgery Biostatistics Request Process"
- August 2020: "Preparing a Competitive Proposal for MarketScan"
Interdisciplinary Surgical Colloquia for Outcomes Research (ISCORe)
The purpose of this colloquia series is to promote interdisciplinary research around surgical outcomes between Duke SCORES, the Department of Population Health Sciences, the Department of Anesthesia Critical Care and Perioperative Population Health Research (CAPER) Unit, and DCRI Musculoskeletal and Surgical Sciences Research.
March 2021 "Patient Choice & Decision Making"
Christoper Cox, MD - “Surprising results of first application of a decision aid in acute care”
Juan Marcos Gonzalez Sepulveda, PhD - “Quantitative Preference Methods and Regulatory Decision Making”
December 2020 "MarketScan Showcase"
- David Jang, MD - "Improving Healthcare Efficiencey Through MarketScan"
- Jonathan Routh, MD, MPH - "Predicting Postoperative Complications in Pediatric Surgery: Derivation of a Novel Pediatric Surgical Comorbidity Index"
October 2019 "Geospatial Research"
- Julia Krauchanka, MD, PhD – “Determinants of geographic disparities in mortality and morbidity in the US: disease-specific patterns, time trends, and contributing factors”
- Betty Tong, MD, MHS, MS & Tina Tailor, MD – “Lung Cancer Screening: Going the Distance”
June 2019 "Clinical Informatics"
- Keith Marsolo, “Value-based care, precision medicine and real-world evidence studies: A prescription for increased interoperability and improved data quality?”
- Maggie Horn, “Integration of Patient-reported Outcomes Collection within the Electronic Health Record: Lessons Learned and Future Directions"
March 2019 "Machine Learning"
- Lawrence Carin, "The Coming AI Disruption of Healthcare"
- Leila Mureebe, "Machine Learning with Clinical Data"
- Michael Cary, "Machine Learning Basics: Advice and Resources for Clinical Researchers"
- If there are working groups you would like us to consider developing, please email us.
Workshops & Courses
A calendar of upcoming workshops and courses that could be of interest to SCORES members.
Surgical Conferences & Programs
Access a comprehensive calendar of national and international conferences & programs by surgical specialty.
For more information about meetings or events, please email us or call 919.684.1366.