- Applicants to the Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship program must be U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents with a Green Card.
- We only accept graduates of U.S. medical schools.
- Applicants must have passed the USMLE/COMPLEX Step 1, 2, and 3 exams.
- Fellows at Duke require a North Carolina medical license (full). Most of our fellows are faculty fellows and need to be eligible for credentialing as such. Occasional exceptions are made for funded fellows. Get more information about the NC Medical Board.
The Division of Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery uses the Universal Fellowship Application through the Fellowship Council and participates in the Fellowship Council Match.
There are three steps to completing the application process: complete application, complete the interview process, and complete the match process. The Fellowship Council's Frequently Asked Questions by Prospective Fellows is a good resource for questions regarding the entire application process. International medical graduates with questions regarding the application process should refer to the Fellowship Council website.
Complete Your Application
- Create an account and complete the Universal Fellowship Application on the Fellowship Council website.
- Application fee: A $200 application fee is collected by the Fellowship Council. This fee will allow you to apply to up to 20 programs. A $100 fee is collected to apply to an additional 10 programs.
Medical license information
Letters of recommendation: The Fellowship Council encourages applicants to submit a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation but no more than 5.
Statements and other information
Additional documents such as CV, ECFMG certificate, test scores, etc... (optional)
International medical graduates should refer to the Fellowship Council website for additional application information.
Fellowship programs will invite applicants they are interested in to interview with program faculty. The Fellowship Council's list of Smart Questions to Ask at Your Fellowship Interview is a helpful resource to refer to before your interview.
Programs and applicants rank each other and submit final rank order lists to the Fellowship Council. The Fellowship Council manages the match process for all programs. As per the Fellowship Council website, "The listing of an applicant by a program on its certified rank order list or of a program by an applicant on the applicant's certified rank order list establishes a binding commitment to offer or to accept an appointment if a match results."
All applicants interested in the Duke Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Travel and Hotel Information
We recommend flying into Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), which is about a 25-minute drive to Duke University Hospital.
Durham also has an Amtrak station if you prefer the train. The train station is located in downtown Durham, a little more than two miles from Duke University Hospital.
Many hotels are located near Duke University Hospital and some offer special rates for Duke visitors. See nearby lodging options.
For more information about applying to the program, please contact: