Five faculty members from the Duke Department of Surgery have been selected to participate in the 2018 Duke Leadership Development for Researchers (LEADER) program sponsored by the Duke University School of Medicine Office of Faculty Development.
Duke Surgery’s participants include the following members:
- Andrew Barbas, MD, Division of Abdominal Transplant Surgery
- Georgia Beasley, MHSc, Division of Advanced Oncologic and Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Eda Holl, PhD, Division of Surgical Sciences
- Lola Fayanju, MD, MA, MPHS, Division of Advanced Oncologic and Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Maryellen Kelly, DNP, CPNP, Division of Urology
The Duke LEADER program is an interactive 3-day workshop designed for junior faculty who are leaders in research. Program participants develop leadership skills and learn strategies for managing a scientific laboratory or research program, including tools for improving productivity, enhancing teamwork, and nurturing creativity and innovation.
The program was developed to bridge the gap between the scientific expertise that led individuals to a career in academic medicine, and the management skills that will be required to succeed as the leaders of small business units.
The course provides a unique opportunity for junior faculty to work and network with a diverse and multidisciplinary group of faculty across the university.