News and Highlights
Dr. Devi and graduate student Risa Gearhart present an abstract titled, "Low Dose Exposure to an Environmental Chemical Mixture Increases Breast Cancer Cell Growth and Survival" at the 12th Annual Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Program (BCERP) Meeting, November 16-17, 2017 in Monrovia, CA.
Undergraduate student Ulises Nino-Espino presents his summer research at the State of North Carolina Undergraduate Research & Creativity Symposium (SNCURCS) on November 4, 2017 at Campbell University.
Dr. Gayathri Devi invited as the Martin and Winifred Ehlers Visiting Professor at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. During this visit, she will present her research related to modulation of programmed cell death pathways for clinical applications and engage in discussions with the students and faculty in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology about developing educational training initiatives in translational sciences.
Graduate student Risa Gearhart presents a poster at DCI Annual Retreat (October 27) in the area of Superfund-derived chemical mixture in breast cancer risk and progression, a collaborative work with Dr. Rich Di Giulio at the Nicholas School of the Environment.
The Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research efforts featured in Duke Cancer Institute Breakthroughs Magazine.
The Association for Clinical and Translational Science (ACTS) has elected Gayathri Devi, PhD, Associate Professor in Surgery, Division of Surgical Sciences, to its Board of Directors. ACTS supports the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Program by advancing research, public policy, and education in clinical and translational science. ACTS members include leaders, investigators, and trainees from academic medical centers, government, industry, and philanthropy. The Board of Directors oversees all business and affairs of the association. Read the announcement
- Risa Gearhart receives a Basic Science Award at the Duke Surgery Annual Research Day for her abstract titled "Low-dose Exposure to a Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon (PAH) Mixture Promotes Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation: A Model Using Creosote-Contaminated Sediment from a Superfund Site"
- Gayathri Devi, PhD, presented an abstract related to the development and goals of the Duke MERITS Education program for the Advancement of Translational Sciences at the 2017 Association for Clinical and Translational Sciences (ACTS) Meeting April 19-21, 2017 in Washington, DC.
- Dr. Devi was invited as a visiting scientist at Saint Augustine Hospital and the University of Antwerp and served as an external examiner for the PhD defense of Melike Marsan at the University of Leuven.
- Dr. Devi – seminar speaker at University of Ghent, VIB Inflammation Research Center
- Dr. Devi was an invited speaker at the 5th International Inflammatory Breast Cancer meeting hosted by Harvard University, Boston.
- Shelley Hwang, Chief of Breast Surgery, Named One of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People for 2016 (read article)
- Ronnie Shammas – 3rd Medical Student, Distinguished Poster Award and Section Winner, Duke Surgical Sciences Day
- Scott Sauer – Post doctoral fellow, Distinguished Poster Award, Duke Surgical Sciences Day
- Myron Evans, graduate student selected for late breaking abstract presentation at the AACR Annual Meeting, New Orleans. X-linked Inhibitor of Apoptosis Protein Induction by MAPK-eIF4G1 Pathway Drives NFκB Activation in Inflammatory Breast Cancer Growth and Therapeutic Resistance
- Dr. Devi was an invited speaker at MD Anderson Morgan Welch IBC Center, Houston, Feb 26 2016
- The Academic Minute: Gayathri Devi, Duke University – Breast Cancer Treatments (listen to audio)
- Dr. Devi, seminar speaker at Astrazeneca, Cambridge, London, July 22, 2015
- Duke study targets rare, inflammatory breast cancer treatment. WRAL News, June 6, 2015 (read the article)
- Scott Sauer – Presidential Poster Award Winner, Selected to present at Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Press Conference and radio interviews with WUNC (NC PBS affiliate) and NC Health News Daily – International ENDO Conference, Chicago, IL
- Scott Sauer – T32 Viral Oncology Training Grant Awardee
New jobs from previous trainees
- Myron Evans (PhD 2016)– Postdoctoral Researcher at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital
- Jennifer Allensworth (PhD 2014) – Clinical Research Coordinator at MD Anderson
- Amy Stefanowicz – Researcher at Humacyte
Awards from previous trainees
- Katherine Aird, Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program Pre-doctoral grant award, 2008
- Gayathri Devi, PhD, Chair (2007- present), Mentoring Committee, Women in Endocrinology, Endocrine Society
- Katherine Aird, 2006 DCCC Annual Meeting Abstract Winner
- Xiuyun Ding, PhD, and Katherine Aird, late-breaking abstract Presentations at AACR 2007
- Aris Baras won the Thomas J. Bardos AACR Science Education Award (2006)
- Aris Baras, 2005 Duke Undergraduate Research Award, Independent study project
- Gayathri Devi, PhD, awarded the Quest Diagnostic Young Investigator Award, Endocrine Society, 2005
- Gayathri Devi, PhD, Editorial Board Member (2005- present) Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Journal