Venkatraman, Vishal, Madison Ponder, Ziad F. Gellad, Shivanand P. Lad, Edana Christy, Ryan Plichta, John Kevin Harrison, George Chad Hughes, and Julie Doberne. “Feasibility study of a novel digital health platform for patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement.” J Card Surg 37, no. 7 (July 2022): 2017–22. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.16515.
Julie Doberne, MD, PhD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Clinical workflow
- Electronic health records
- Health economics
- Health services research
- Human computer interaction
- Simulation and modeling
- Eye tracking
- Heart failure
- Ventricular assist devices
- Adult cardiac surgery
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Environment focused on resident education
- Faculty dedicated to fostering residents' academic development
- World-class cardiac surgery program
- High-volume LVAD program
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- Early operative exposure
- Tight-knit resident community
- Strong tradition of resident education
- Strong relationship between cardiac surgery and general surgery
- The ability to work closely with leading surgeon educators and academicians
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Take a look at where the programs' graduates are going, and see if those career paths align with your values. Look for places where the people (and particularly program directors) can see your potential and demonstrate an interest in cultivating it.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
It's an incredibly easy place to live.
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Spending time with my family
- Getting involved with professional organizations
- Getting outdoors
Honors and Awards
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons Looking to the Future Medical Student Scholarship, 2015
- National Library of Medicine Fellow, Oregon Health & Science University, 2012-2014
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association James W. Brooks Scholarship Finalist, 2013
- Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Foundation Pediatric Clerkship Award, 2013
- N.L. Tartar Research Fellow, Oregon Health & Science University, 2012
- National Institute of Health TL1 OSLER Fellowship, Oregon Health & Science University, 2010
Doberne, Julie W., Oliver K. Jawitz, Vignesh Raman, Benjamin S. Bryner, Jacob N. Schroder, and Carmelo A. Milano. “Heart Transplantation Survival Outcomes of HIV Positive and Negative Recipients.” Ann Thorac Surg 111, no. 5 (May 2021): 1465–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.06.120.
Doberne, J., V. Mohan, D. Woodcock, K. McGrath, G. Scholl, R. Pranaat, D. A. Chase, J. A. Gold, and J. S. Ash. “Using simulations to improve electronic health record use, clinician training and patient safety: Recommendations from a consensus conference.” Amia ... Annual Symposium Proceedings / Amia Symposium. Amia Symposium 2016 Nov (2016).
Doberne, Julie W., Roheet Kakaday, Travis K. Redd, Carl O. Eriksson, Thomas R. Yackel, Jenna Marquard, Jeffrey A. Gold, Vishnu Mohan, Joan S. Ash, and Michael F. Chiang. “Barriers to Information Access in Electronic Health Records during Initial Patient Visits: A Qualitative Study.” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care 4, no. 1 (June 2015): 143–49. https://doi.org/10.1177/2327857915041009.
Broberg, Craig, Joel McLarry, Julie Mitchell, Christiane Winter, Julie Doberne, Patricia Woods, Luke Burchill, and Joseph Weiss. “Accuracy of Administrative Data for Detection and Categorization of Adult Congenital Heart Disease Patients from an Electronic Medical Record.” Pediatric Cardiology 36, no. 4 (April 2015): 719–25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00246-014-1068-2.
Doberne, J., Z. He, V. Mohan, J. A. Gold, J. Marquard, and M. F. Chiang. “Using high-fidelity simulation and eye tracking to characterize EHR workflow patterns among hospital physicians.” Amia ... Annual Symposium Proceedings / Amia Symposium. Amia Symposium, no. 2015 Nov (2015): 1881–89.
Redd, T. K., J. Doberne, D. Lattin, T. R. Yackel, C. O. Eriksson, V. Mohan, J. A. Gold, J. S. Ash, and M. F. Chiang. “Variability in electronic health record usage and workflow among specialty vs. primary care physicians.” Proceedings a Conference of the American Medical Informatics Association / . Amia Annual Fall Symposium. Amia Fall Symposium, no. November (2015): 2053–62.
Doberne, J., B. Diggs, F. Tibayan, M. Slater, C. Chien, J. Gelow, J. Mudd, and H. Song. “Impact of ventricular assist device implantation on clinical and economic outcomes of heart transplantation in the United States from 2003-2007.” World Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, no. September (2013): 5–5.
Hornberger, John, Julie Doberne, and Rebecca Chien. “Laboratory-Developed Test—SynFRAME: An Approach for Assessing Laboratory-Developed Tests Synthesized from Prior Appraisal Frameworks.” Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers 16, no. 6 (June 2012): 605–14. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2011.0177.