Start Year: 2020
College/University: Case Western Reserve University (M.A. Bioethics 2016; B.A. Chemical Biology/Cognitive Science 2016)
Medical School: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests
- Biologically inspired robotics
What were you looking for in a residency program?
I wanted a place that wanted their residents to be a little different. I wanted a program that sought out residents with big, weird ideas and that had the academic resources to support their endeavors. Duke allows us to dream big and gives us the dedicated time and mentorship to explore our ideas.
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
Duke is a highly academic program combined with a warm community. I have felt so welcomed by everyone since the day I opened my match letter. Every day has reinforced my decision to choose Duke.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Eat when you can. Sleep when you can. Take advantage of your free time. There will be phases where you just need to put your head down and work hard. And there will also be moments where things are lighter and you can enjoy your free time. Take all things in stride.
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
After long hours of standing or sitting at a computer, I appreciate opportunities to move through dance, pilates, or other fun cardio workouts.
Honors and Awards
- 2019 American Heart Association (AHA) Council on Clinical Cardiology Minority Travel Grant Recipient
- 2018 Gold Humanism Honor Society
- 2016 Vanderbilt Program in Interprofessional Learning (VPIL)
- 2016 – 2020 Cornelius Vanderbilt Merit Scholarship, VUSM
- 2016 Russell A. Griffin Award “to a senior who has made a significant contribution to campus life”, CWRU
- 2015 UNCF-Merck Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- 2015 UNCF-Merck Scholarship
- 2015 Case Western Reserve University Research ShowCASE and Spring Intersections
- 1st place in oral presentation competition for engineering research
- 2nd place in poster presentation competition for natural sciences research
- 2013, 2014 National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) grant
- 2012 – 2016 University Merit Scholarship, CWRU