Zhao, Ruya, Ronnie L. Shammas, Gloria Broadwater, Elliot Le, Christophe Hansen-Estruch, Rayan Kaakati, Roger W. Cason, Matthew Lyes, Jonah P. Orr, and Scott T. Hollenbeck. “Assessing the Influence of Attending Surgeon Continuity on Free Flap Outcomes Following Unplanned Returns to the Operating Room.” J Reconstr Microsurg 36, no. 8 (October 2020): 583–91. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1713173.
Roger Cason, MD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Breast reconstruction
- General reconstruction
- Facial aesthetics
- Surgical education
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- A culture of positivity and collegiality
- A program with an emphasis on education and mentorship
- Opportunity to explore a diverse array of clinical interests
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- Opportunity for research and innovation
- World-class institution with storied history
- Clinical volume and diversity of cases
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
- Try and always have a positive attitude
- Be as available as you can
- Demonstrate a willingness to help the team
- Maintain a healthy work-life balance
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- The beautiful scenery and weather
- The availability of great restaurants
- The cohesiveness of the local community
- The proximity to mountains and beaches
- Great cost of living allows for flexibility in your lifestyle
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Play guitar
- Eat and explore new restaurants in the Triangle
- Hang out with my wife and our dog, Jack
- Exercise and fitness
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- 2016 - Outstanding Senior Award, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- 2019 - Bostwick Award, Atlanta Breast Symposium
Cason, Roger W., Ronnie L. Shammas, Gloria Broadwater, Adam D. Glener, Amanda R. Sergesketter, Rebecca Vernon, Elliot Le, et al. “Abstract 42.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open 8 (April 2020): 27–28. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.gox.0000667232.52320.43.
Shammas, Ronnie L., Gloria Broadwater, Roger W. Cason, Adam D. Glener, Amanda R. Sergesketter, Rebecca Vernon, Elliot Le, Victoria A. Wickenheisser, Caitlin Marks, and Scott T. Hollenbeck. “Assessing the Utility of Post-Mastectomy Imaging after Breast Reconstruction.” J Am Coll Surg 230, no. 4 (April 2020): 605-614.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2020.01.006.
Orr, Jonah P., Amanda R. Sergesketter, Ronnie L. Shammas, Analise B. Thomas, Roger W. Cason, Ruya Zhao, Gloria Broadwater, and Scott T. Hollenbeck. “Assessing the Relationship between Anxiety and Revision Surgery following Autologous Breast Reconstruction.” Plast Reconstr Surg 144, no. 1 (July 2019): 24–33. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000005696.
Sergesketter, Amanda R., Roger W. Cason, Mohamed M. Ibrahim, Whitney O. Lane, David T. Lubkin, Scott T. Hollenbeck, and David A. Brown. “Perioperative Treatment with a Prolyl Hydroxylase Inhibitor Reduces Necrosis in a Rat Ischemic Skin Flap Model.” Plast Reconstr Surg 143, no. 4 (April 2019): 769e-779e. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000005441.