Nicholas Oleck, MD
University of Delaware
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Clinical and Research Interests
- Microsurgical breast and extremity reconstruction
- Abdominal wall reconstruction
- Peripheral nerve surgery
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Graduated operative autonomy
- Exposure to the full breadth of plastic surgery
- Balance between clinical excellence and academic opportunities
- A down-to-earth, tight-knit, and well-rounded group of co-residents
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- Diversity and volume of surgical cases
- Supportive and renowned faculty
- Rich history and expansive alumni network
- Affiliation with Duke University, a world class research institution
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
- Never give anything less than your best, don't take shortcuts
- Always remember the people who helped you get to where you are today and try to do the same for others
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Low cost of living and the opportunity to own a home during residency
- The culture and character of Downtown Durham
- Incredible southern food!
- Proximity to both the ocean, mountains, and plenty of outdoor activities
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Run and exercise
- Play the acoustic guitar
- Spend time with my wife, family, and friends
Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Member (2019)
- Merck Manual Academic Excellence Award (2020)
- Weiss-Lambert Alpha Omega Alpha Research Commendation Award (2018)
- Alpha Epsilon Lambda National Honor Society (2018)
- The New Jersey Medical School Class Endowed Scholarship (2018)
- Best Research Poster – New Jersey Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2019 Annual Meeting
- An Orthoplastics Approach to Extremity Reconstruction Following Oncologic Resection. Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2019, San Diego, CA; September 2019
- The Effect of Affordable Care Act on Insurance Status of Patients with Primary Breast Cancer. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons 35th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA: October 26-28, 2018.
- Pediatric Facial Fractures Secondary to Falls – Injury Patterns and Management Strategies. Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons 35th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA: October 26-28, 2018.
- Facial Fractures and Mixed Dentition: What are the Implications of Dentition Status in Pediatric Facial Fracture Management? Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2019, San Diego, CA; September 2019
- How Readable are the Online Patient Resources for the Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedure? Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2019, San Diego, CA; September 2019
- A Multimetric Health Literacy Analysis of Online Brazilian Butt Lift Health Information. Society of Asian Academic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2019, Boston, MA; September 2019
- The Cost of the July Effect in Microsurgery: Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2019, San Diego, CA; September 2019