Ebrahimi, Ramin, Sandeep Gupta, Brendan M. Carr, Muath Bishawi, Faisal G. Bakaeen, G Hossein Almassi, Joseph Collins, et al. “Comparison of Outcomes and Costs Associated With Aspirin ± Clopidogrel After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting.” The American Journal of Cardiology 121, no. 6 (March 2018): 709–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.12.010.
Muath Bishawi, MD, PhD, MPH
I am interested in translational and biomedical engineering approaches to studying cardiovascular function and end stage heart failure. My current work is focused on using Tissue Engineered Blood Vessels (TEBVs) to model radiation related injury to the cardiovascular function. Additional focus includes ex-vivo modification of donor hearts to improve cardiac transplantation outcomes
My clinical research is focused on clinical outcomes after adult cardiac surgery with a focus on end stage surgical heart failure and transplantation.
Truskey Lab: http://truskeylab.pratt.duke.edu/
Duke Transplant Center
Clinical and Research Interests
- Clinical interest in adult cardiac surgery, including surgical heart failure and transplantation
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Strong training of academic cardiothoracic surgeons with a track record of trainees
- Strong case mix with a wide variety and high volume of different cases
- Research support to carry out high-quality clinical, translational, and basic science projects
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
Duke Surgery had the right combination of strong clinical training, academics, and research; multiple excellent mentors; and a program designed around training future cardiothoracic surgeons.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Find a program that fits your personality and goals. Different people will like different programs for different reasons so your goal should be finding the right "fit," which will be different for different people.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Lots to do
- Great weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
Honors and Awards
- Association of Academic Surgery (AAS) Student Research Award
- Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine Honor Society
- Stony Brook School of Medicine Alumni Award ($10,000)
- AMA Foundation Outstanding Young Researcher Seed Grant 2012
- Best Podium Presentation Award ($500). NY Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery 2012
- MD-with Recognition in Research funding award (Quality of Life after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- American College of Phlebology Best presentation cash prize (2nd place)
- American College of Phlebology Travel presentation Award 2012
- Department of Surgery, American College of Surgeons travel award 2012
- Travel scholarship, Society for Vascular Surgery 2011 Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Finalist poster award Stony Brook Research day (Lung Injury and Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellow (2007-2008)
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence (2006)
- President Full Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2004-2006)
- High Honor Roll Leadership Award (2006-2007)
- Sheridan Award, Department of History, Government & Economics (2006)
- Ann Zodikoff Award (2005)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Service Award (2007)
- Dutchess United Educator Award (2006)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps Ray of Light Community Service Award (2007)
- Alumni Association Graduate Scholarship (2006)
- Resolution of Commendation (Board of Trustees 2006)
- Community Service Award, Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance (2007)
- Stony Brook University Dean’s List (2006)
- Distinguished Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2005)
- Outstanding Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- Outstanding Position Paper Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- President list (Fall 2004, Fall 2005)
- Honors List (Spring 2005, Spring 2006), (Fall 2006)
- Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Honor Society, (2004-2006) and National Honors Society, (2005)
Bishawi, Muath, Soraya Voigt, Yash Bhatnagar, Alina Nicoara, Madhav Swaminathan, George Truskey, and Olaf von Ramm. “ECHOCARDIOGRAPHIC MEASUREMENT OF CARDIAC TWIST: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS.” In Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 71:A1667–A1667. Elsevier BV, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0735-1097(18)32208-3.
Bishawi, Muath, Zhuokai Li, Morgan Cox, Andrzej Kosinski, Frederick Grover, Kevin Harrison, Vinod H. Thourani, et al. “HIGH HOSPITAL VARIABILITY IN MORTALITY AFTER TAVR CAN BE EXPLAINED BY DIFFERENCES IN FAILURE TO RESCUE FROM POST PROCEDURAL COMPLICATIONS.” In Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 71:A994–A994. Elsevier BV, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0735-1097(18)31535-3.
Cox, Morgan, Muath Bishawi, Uttara Nag, David Ranney, Babatunde Yerokun, Alice Wang, and G Chad Hughes. “IMPACT OF POST-OPERATIVE ATRIAL FIBRILLATION ON EARLY AND LATE OUTCOMES AFTER PROXIMAL AORTIC SURGERY.” In Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 71:A504–A504. Elsevier BV, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0735-1097(18)31045-3.
Voigt, Soraya L., Muath Bishawi, Richard L. McCann, and G Chad Hughes. “Long-term Outcomes of Carotid-Subclavian Bypass in the Setting of Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair.” In Journal of Vascular Surgery, 67:E16–E16. MOSBY-ELSEVIER, 2018.
Bishawi, M., and S. Vemulapalli. “Surgical predictive planning using 3D printing.” In 3D Printing Applications in Cardiovascular Medicine, 227–41, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803917-5.00012-2.
Quin, Jacquelyn A., Brack Hattler, Annie Laurie W. Shroyer, Darlene Kemp, G Hossein Almassi, Faisal G. Bakaeen, Brendan M. Carr, et al. “Concordance between administrative data and clinical review for mortality in the randomized on/off bypass follow-up study (ROOBY-FS).” Journal of Cardiac Surgery 32, no. 12 (December 13, 2017): 751–56. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.13379.
Shroyer, A Laurie, Brack Hattler, Todd H. Wagner, Joseph F. Collins, Janet H. Baltz, Jacquelyn A. Quin, G Hossein Almassi, et al. “Five-Year Outcomes after On-Pump and Off-Pump Coronary-Artery Bypass.” The New England Journal of Medicine 377, no. 7 (August 2017): 623–32. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1614341.
Bishawi, M., S. Bell, L. Cai, W. Landford, S. Arif, A. McLarty, L. Blue, et al. “Antibiotic Prophylaxis Strategies in LVAD Implantation and LVAD Infections: A Systematic Review of the Literature.” In Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 36:S242–S242. ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC, 2017.