Black-Maier, Eric, Jonathan P. Piccini, Muath Bishawi, Sean D. Pokorney, Benjamin Bryner, Jacob N. Schroder, Vance G. Fowler, et al. “Lead Extraction for Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Device Infection in Patients With Left Ventricular Assist Devices.” Jacc Clin Electrophysiol 6, no. 6 (June 2020): 672–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacep.2020.02.006.
Muath Bishawi, MD, MPH
I am interested in translational and biomedical engineering approaches to studying cardiovascular function and end stage heart failure. My current work is focused on using Tissue Engineered Blood Vessels (TEBVs) to model radiation related injury to the cardiovascular function. Additional focus includes ex-vivo modification of donor hearts to improve cardiac transplantation outcomes
My clinical research is focused on clinical outcomes after adult cardiac surgery with a focus on end stage surgical heart failure and transplantation.
Truskey Lab: http://truskeylab.pratt.duke.edu/
Duke Transplant Center
Clinical and Research Interests
- Clinical interest in adult cardiac surgery, including surgical heart failure and transplantation
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Strong training of academic cardiothoracic surgeons with a track record of trainees
- Strong case mix with a wide variety and high volume of different cases
- Research support to carry out high-quality clinical, translational, and basic science projects
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
Duke Surgery had the right combination of strong clinical training, academics, and research; multiple excellent mentors; and a program designed around training future cardiothoracic surgeons.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Find a program that fits your personality and goals. Different people will like different programs for different reasons so your goal should be finding the right "fit," which will be different for different people.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Lots to do
- Great weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
Honors and Awards
- Association of Academic Surgery (AAS) Student Research Award
- Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine Honor Society
- Stony Brook School of Medicine Alumni Award ($10,000)
- AMA Foundation Outstanding Young Researcher Seed Grant 2012
- Best Podium Presentation Award ($500). NY Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery 2012
- MD-with Recognition in Research funding award (Quality of Life after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- American College of Phlebology Best presentation cash prize (2nd place)
- American College of Phlebology Travel presentation Award 2012
- Department of Surgery, American College of Surgeons travel award 2012
- Travel scholarship, Society for Vascular Surgery 2011 Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Finalist poster award Stony Brook Research day (Lung Injury and Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellow (2007-2008)
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence (2006)
- President Full Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2004-2006)
- High Honor Roll Leadership Award (2006-2007)
- Sheridan Award, Department of History, Government & Economics (2006)
- Ann Zodikoff Award (2005)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Service Award (2007)
- Dutchess United Educator Award (2006)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps Ray of Light Community Service Award (2007)
- Alumni Association Graduate Scholarship (2006)
- Resolution of Commendation (Board of Trustees 2006)
- Community Service Award, Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance (2007)
- Stony Brook University Dean’s List (2006)
- Distinguished Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2005)
- Outstanding Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- Outstanding Position Paper Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- President list (Fall 2004, Fall 2005)
- Honors List (Spring 2005, Spring 2006), (Fall 2006)
- Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Honor Society, (2004-2006) and National Honors Society, (2005)
Barac, Y. D., M. Bishawi, C. Milano, J. Schroder, M. Daneshmand, N. Hashmi, E. Velazquez, J. Rogers, C. Patel, and A. Nicoara. “Impact of Tricuspid Valve Repair for Moderate Tricuspid Regurgitation at the Time of Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation on the Occurrence of Right Heart Failure.” In The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation : The Official Publication of the International Society for Heart Transplantation, 39:S444, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2020.01.259.
Chiang, Y. P., M. Bishawi, C. Wang, M. J. Watson, F. H. Lee, A. Roki, A. Doty, et al. “Successful Gene Delivery to Cardiac Allograft with Adeno-Associated Viral Vector Using Ex Vivo Storage Perfusion Platform.” In The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation : The Official Publication of the International Society for Heart Transplantation, 39:S360–61, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2020.01.434.
Mulvihill, Michael S., Hui J. Lee, Jeremy Weber, Ashley Y. Choi, Morgan L. Cox, Babatunde A. Yerokun, Muath A. Bishawi, Jacob Klapper, Maragatha Kuchibhatla, and Matthew G. Hartwig. “Variability in donor organ offer acceptance and lung transplantation survival.” J Heart Lung Transplant 39, no. 4 (April 2020): 353–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2019.12.010.
Barac, Yaron D., Alina Nicoara, Muath Bishawi, Jacob N. Schroder, Mani A. Daneshmand, Nazish K. Hashmi, Eric Velazquez, Joseph G. Rogers, Chetan B. Patel, and Carmelo A. Milano. “Durability and Efficacy of Tricuspid Valve Repair in Patients Undergoing Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation.” Jacc Heart Fail 8, no. 2 (February 2020): 141–50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2019.08.016.
Chiang, Yuting P., Daniel Cox, Jacob N. Schroder, Mani A. Daneshmand, Laura J. Blue, Chetan B. Patel, Adam D. DeVore, Muath Bishawi, and Carmelo A. Milano. “Stroke risk following implantation of current generation centrifugal flow left ventricular assist devices.” J Card Surg 35, no. 2 (February 2020): 383–89. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.14397.
Osho, Asishana A., Muath M. Bishawi, Michael S. Mulvihill, Andrea L. Axtell, Sameer A. Hirji, Philip J. Spencer, Elbert E. Heng, et al. “Failure to Rescue Contributes to Center-Level Differences in Mortality After Lung Transplantation.” Ann Thorac Surg 109, no. 1 (January 2020): 218–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2019.07.013.
Rymer, Jennifer A., Zhuokai Li, Morgan L. Cox, Muath Bishawi, Andrzej S. Kosinski, David J. Cohen, Andrew Wang, et al. “Pre- Versus Post-Procedure Health Care Resource Utilization in Patients Undergoing Commercial Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair.” Jacc Cardiovasc Interv 12, no. 23 (December 9, 2019): 2416–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2019.09.056.
Barac, Yaron, Muath Bishawi, Alina Nicoara, Jacob Schroder, Joseph G. Rogers, Chetan B. Patel, Mani Daneshmand, Nazish K. Hashmi, Eric J. Velazquez, and Carmelo A. Milano. “Early RHF Post Tricuspid Valve Repair Performed Concurrent With LVAD Implantation is Not Associated With Late RHF.” In Circulation, Vol. 140, 2019.