Choi, Ashley Y., Jatin Anand, Muath Bishawi, Samantha E. Halpern, Fabian J. Contreras, Michelle A. Mendiola, Mani A. Daneshmand, et al. “Incidence and Diagnostic Challenges of Bowel Ischemia after Continuous-flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Therapy.” Asaio J 68, no. 5 (May 1, 2022): 676–82. https://doi.org/10.1097/MAT.0000000000001553.
Muath Bishawi, MD, PhD, MPH
I am interested in translational and biomedical engineering approaches to studying cardiovascular function and end stage heart failure. My current work is focused on using Tissue Engineered Blood Vessels (TEBVs) to model radiation related injury to the cardiovascular function. Additional focus includes ex-vivo modification of donor hearts to improve cardiac transplantation outcomes
My clinical research is focused on clinical outcomes after adult cardiac surgery with a focus on end stage surgical heart failure and transplantation.
Truskey Lab: http://truskeylab.pratt.duke.edu/
Duke Transplant Center
Clinical and Research Interests
- Clinical interest in adult cardiac surgery, including surgical heart failure and transplantation
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Strong training of academic cardiothoracic surgeons with a track record of trainees
- Strong case mix with a wide variety and high volume of different cases
- Research support to carry out high-quality clinical, translational, and basic science projects
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
Duke Surgery had the right combination of strong clinical training, academics, and research; multiple excellent mentors; and a program designed around training future cardiothoracic surgeons.
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Find a program that fits your personality and goals. Different people will like different programs for different reasons so your goal should be finding the right "fit," which will be different for different people.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Lots to do
- Great weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
Honors and Awards
- Association of Academic Surgery (AAS) Student Research Award
- Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine Honor Society
- Stony Brook School of Medicine Alumni Award ($10,000)
- AMA Foundation Outstanding Young Researcher Seed Grant 2012
- Best Podium Presentation Award ($500). NY Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery 2012
- MD-with Recognition in Research funding award (Quality of Life after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- American College of Phlebology Best presentation cash prize (2nd place)
- American College of Phlebology Travel presentation Award 2012
- Department of Surgery, American College of Surgeons travel award 2012
- Travel scholarship, Society for Vascular Surgery 2011 Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Finalist poster award Stony Brook Research day (Lung Injury and Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellow (2007-2008)
- New York State Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence (2006)
- President Full Scholarship for Academic Excellence (2004-2006)
- High Honor Roll Leadership Award (2006-2007)
- Sheridan Award, Department of History, Government & Economics (2006)
- Ann Zodikoff Award (2005)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Service Award (2007)
- Dutchess United Educator Award (2006)
- Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps Ray of Light Community Service Award (2007)
- Alumni Association Graduate Scholarship (2006)
- Resolution of Commendation (Board of Trustees 2006)
- Community Service Award, Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance (2007)
- Stony Brook University Dean’s List (2006)
- Distinguished Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2005)
- Outstanding Delegation Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- Outstanding Position Paper Award, National Model United Nations (2006)
- President list (Fall 2004, Fall 2005)
- Honors List (Spring 2005, Spring 2006), (Fall 2006)
- Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Honor Society, (2004-2006) and National Honors Society, (2005)
Bishawi, Muath, Franklin H. Lee, Dennis M. Abraham, Carolyn Glass, Stephanie J. Blocker, Daniel J. Cox, Zachary D. Brown, et al. “Late onset cardiovascular dysfunction in adult mice resulting from galactic cosmic ray exposure.” Iscience 25, no. 4 (April 15, 2022): 104086. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2022.104086.
Urban, Marian, Muath Bishawi, Anthony W. Castleberry, Nicholas W. Markin, Megan M. Chacon, John Y. Um, and Aleem Siddique. “Novel Use of Mobile Ex-Vivo Lung Perfusion in Donation After Circulatory Death Lung Transplantation.” Progress in Transplantation (Aliso Viejo, Calif.), March 11, 2022, 15269248221087436. https://doi.org/10.1177/15269248221087437.
Mendiola Pla, Michelle, Amy Evans, Franklin H. Lee, Yuting Chiang, Muath Bishawi, Andrew Vekstein, Lillian Kang, et al. “A Porcine Heterotopic Heart Transplantation Protocol for Delivery of Therapeutics to a Cardiac Allograft.” J Vis Exp, no. 180 (February 14, 2022). https://doi.org/10.3791/63114.
Bishawi, Muath, Carmelo Milano, Jeffrey Gaca, Keith Carr, Andrew Wang, and Donald D. Glower. “The outcome of mitral repair for degenerative versus ischemic mitral regurgitation using a single complete ring.” J Card Surg 37, no. 2 (February 2022): 290–96. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.16094.
Feiger, B., E. Lorenzana-Saldivar, C. Cooke, R. Horstmeyer, M. Bishawi, J. Doberne, G. C. Hughes, D. Ranney, S. Voigt, and A. Randles. “Evaluation of U-Net Based Architectures for Automatic Aortic Dissection Segmentation.” Acm Transactions on Computing for Healthcare 3, no. 1 (January 1, 2022). https://doi.org/10.1145/3472302.
Esagian, Stepan Michran, Dimitrios Spinos, Anastasia Vasilopoulou, Nikolaos Syrigos, Muath Bishawi, Ruediger Wilhelm Lehrich, John Paul Middleton, Paul Vincent Suhocki, Theodore Nick Pappas, and Konstantinos P. Economopoulos. “Influence of peritoneal dialysis catheter type on complications and long-term outcomes: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.” J Nephrol 34, no. 6 (December 2021): 1973–87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40620-021-01016-y.
Esagian, Stepan M., Georgios A. Sideris, Muath Bishawi, Ioannis A. Ziogas, Ruediger W. Lehrich, John P. Middleton, Paul V. Suhocki, Theodore N. Pappas, and Konstantinos P. Economopoulos. “Surgical versus percutaneous catheter placement for peritoneal dialysis: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.” J Nephrol 34, no. 5 (October 2021): 1681–96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40620-020-00896-w.