Vernadakis, Spiridon, Demetrios Moris, Gernot Kaiser, Stylianos Kykalos, and Georgios C. Sotiropoulos. “Horseshoe kidney transplantation.” The American Surgeon 79, no. 9 (September 2013): e298–99.
Dimitrios Moris, MD, MSc, PhD
MD, MSc, PhD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Surgical Oncology
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Best possible training combining high volume and wide spectrum of surgery
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- High volume of cases
- State-of-the art Research
- World-class mentorship
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
- Work hard
- Take advantage of the opportunities
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Mostly nice weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Spending time with wife and friends
Honors and Awards
- Moris D, Atia A, McRae M, Song M, Stempora L, Leopardi F, Williams K, Kwun J, Parker W, Cardones AR, Kirk AD, Cendales LC. Th17 Cell Inhibition in a Costimulation Blockade Based Regimen for Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation Using a Non-Human Primate Model. ATC 2020, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Moris D, Shaw BI, Ong C, Connor AA, Samoylova ML, Kesseli SJ, Abraham N, Gloria J, Schmitz R, Fitch ZW, Clary BM, Barbas AS. A Simple Scoring System to Estimate Perioperative Mortality Following Liver Resection for Primary Liver Malignancy - The Hepatectomy Risk Score (HeRS). AHPBA 2020, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- Moris D, Lim J, Shah KN, Blazer D, Lidsky M, Allen P, Zani S. Empiric nasogastric decompression after pancreaticoduodenectomy is not necessary. AHPBA 2019, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- 2019 ASTS Resident Scientist Scholarship
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (MSc level) studies.
- Scholarship of Thorax Foundation for postdoctoral research
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (4th round) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of Foundation for Education and European culture (IPEP) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- ''Handedness, anatomical variations of cerebrovascular blood flow and strokes. Is there any correlation? Moris D, Bonatsos V, Georgopoulos S. 1st prize in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Prone positioning in ARDS. Bonatsos V, Moris D, Mentzelopoulos S, Roussos C. 1st prize as oral presentation in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Magna Cum laude ’’EXELLENT’’ 9.3/10 (1% in class-chosen to recite the oath at the graduation ceremony as the valedictorian of his class)
- Gold Medal in the 14th Olympiad of Medical Knowledge in the 4th International Forum of E.E.F.I.E
- Scholarship from the Greek National Scholarship Foundation (IKY) for excellence in Medical School in the season 2007-2008
- Honor in the National Contest of Mathematics of Greek Mathematic Society
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (3 rounds)
Moris, D. N. “Biomechanics of vascular-stent interaction and in-stent restenosis: The key role of shear stress.” Minerva Biotecnologica 25, no. 2 (June 1, 2013): 133–42.
Moris, D. N., and S. E. Georgopoulos. “Circulating biomarkers for abdominal aortic aneurysm: what did we learn in the last decade?” International Angiology : A Journal of the International Union of Angiology 32, no. 3 (June 2013): 266–80.
Moris, Demetrios, Georgios Sotiropoulos, and Spiridon Vernadakis. “Hepatic metastasis of a carotid body paraganglioma 5 years after resection of the primary tumor.” The American Surgeon 79, no. 5 (May 2013): E194–96.
Vernadakis, Spyridon, George Karaolanis, Demetrios Moris, Vasileios Zavvos, George Liapis, and George Zavos. “Multiple bilateral oncocytomas of the native kidneys following renal transplantation: report of a rare case and review of the literature.” World Journal of Surgical Oncology 11 (January 2013): 119. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-11-119.
Moris, Demetrios N., Konstantinos J. Bramis, Eleftherios I. Mantonakis, Efstathios L. Papalampros, Athanasios S. Petrou, and Alexandros E. Papalampros. “Surgery via natural orifices in human beings: yesterday, today, tomorrow.” American Journal of Surgery 204, no. 1 (July 2012): 93–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.05.019.
Mantonakis, Eleftherios I., Theodora S. Margariti, Athanasios S. Petrou, Anastasios C. Stofas, Andreas C. Lazaris, Alexandros E. Papalampros, Demetrios N. Moris, and Panagiotis O. Michail. “A pathological fracture and a solitary mass in the right clavicle: an unusual first presentation of HCC and the role of immunohistochemistry.” World Journal of Surgical Oncology 10 (January 2012): 50. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-10-50.