Dimitrios Moris, MD, MSc, PhD
MD, MSc, PhD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Surgical Oncology
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Best possible training combining high volume and wide spectrum of surgery
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- High volume of cases
- State-of-the art Research
- World-class mentorship
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
- Work hard
- Take advantage of the opportunities
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Mostly nice weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Spending time with wife and friends
Honors and Awards
- Moris D, Atia A, McRae M, Song M, Stempora L, Leopardi F, Williams K, Kwun J, Parker W, Cardones AR, Kirk AD, Cendales LC. Th17 Cell Inhibition in a Costimulation Blockade Based Regimen for Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation Using a Non-Human Primate Model. ATC 2020, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Moris D, Shaw BI, Ong C, Connor AA, Samoylova ML, Kesseli SJ, Abraham N, Gloria J, Schmitz R, Fitch ZW, Clary BM, Barbas AS. A Simple Scoring System to Estimate Perioperative Mortality Following Liver Resection for Primary Liver Malignancy - The Hepatectomy Risk Score (HeRS). AHPBA 2020, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- Moris D, Lim J, Shah KN, Blazer D, Lidsky M, Allen P, Zani S. Empiric nasogastric decompression after pancreaticoduodenectomy is not necessary. AHPBA 2019, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- 2019 ASTS Resident Scientist Scholarship
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (MSc level) studies.
- Scholarship of Thorax Foundation for postdoctoral research
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (4th round) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of Foundation for Education and European culture (IPEP) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- ''Handedness, anatomical variations of cerebrovascular blood flow and strokes. Is there any correlation? Moris D, Bonatsos V, Georgopoulos S. 1st prize in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Prone positioning in ARDS. Bonatsos V, Moris D, Mentzelopoulos S, Roussos C. 1st prize as oral presentation in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Magna Cum laude ’’EXELLENT’’ 9.3/10 (1% in class-chosen to recite the oath at the graduation ceremony as the valedictorian of his class)
- Gold Medal in the 14th Olympiad of Medical Knowledge in the 4th International Forum of E.E.F.I.E
- Scholarship from the Greek National Scholarship Foundation (IKY) for excellence in Medical School in the season 2007-2008
- Honor in the National Contest of Mathematics of Greek Mathematic Society
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (3 rounds)
Giannis, Dimitrios, Dimitrios Moris, Georgia Sofia Karachaliou, Diamantis I Tsilimigras, Georgios Karaolanis, Alexandros Papalampros, and Evangelos Felekouras. “Insulinomas: from diagnosis to treatment. A review of the literature.” Journal of B.U.On. : Official Journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology 25, no. 3 (May 2020): 1302–14.
Atia, Andrew, Dimitrios Moris, MacKenzie McRae, Mingqing Song, Linda Stempora, Francis Leopardi, Kyha Williams, et al. “Th17 cell inhibition in a costimulation blockade-based regimen for vascularized composite allotransplantation using a nonhuman primate model.” Transpl Int, April 11, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/tri.13612.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Dimitrios Moris, Rittal Mehta, Anghela Z. Paredes, Kota Sahara, Alfredo Guglielmi, Luca Aldrighetti, et al. “The systemic immune-inflammation index predicts prognosis in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: an international multi-institutional analysis.” Hpb : The Official Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, April 4, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hpb.2020.03.011.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Rittal Mehta, Dimitrios Moris, Kota Sahara, Fabio Bagante, Anghela Z. Paredes, Amika Moro, et al. “A Machine-Based Approach to Preoperatively Identify Patients with the Most and Least Benefit Associated with Resection for Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma: An International Multi-institutional Analysis of 1146 Patients.” Annals of Surgical Oncology 27, no. 4 (April 2020): 1110–19. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-019-08067-3.
Mastoraki, Aikaterini, Dimitrios Schizas, Nikolaos Charalampakis, Leon Naar, Maria Ioannidi, Diamantis Tsilimigras, Maria Sotiropoulou, Dimitrios Moris, Pantelis Vassiliu, and Evangelos Felekouras. “Contribution of Histone Deacetylases in Prognosis and Therapeutic Management of Cholangiocarcinoma.” Molecular Diagnosis & Therapy 24, no. 2 (April 2020): 175–84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40291-020-00454-x.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Rittal Mehta, Luca Aldrighetti, George A. Poultsides, Shishir K. Maithel, Guillaume Martel, Feng Shen, et al. “Development and Validation of a Laboratory Risk Score (LabScore) to Predict Outcomes after Resection for Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma.” In Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 230:381-391.e2, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2019.12.025.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Rittal Mehta, Dimitrios Moris, Kota Sahara, Fabio Bagante, Anghela Z. Paredes, Ayesha Farooq, et al. “Utilizing Machine Learning for Pre- and Postoperative Assessment of Patients Undergoing Resection for BCLC-0, A and B Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Implications for Resection Beyond the BCLC Guidelines.” Annals of Surgical Oncology 27, no. 3 (March 2020): 866–74. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-019-08025-z.