Dimitrios Moris, MD, MSc, PhD
MD, MSc, PhD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Surgical Oncology
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Best possible training combining high volume and wide spectrum of surgery
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- High volume of cases
- State-of-the art Research
- World-class mentorship
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
- Work hard
- Take advantage of the opportunities
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Mostly nice weather
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Spending time with wife and friends
Honors and Awards
- Moris D, Atia A, McRae M, Song M, Stempora L, Leopardi F, Williams K, Kwun J, Parker W, Cardones AR, Kirk AD, Cendales LC. Th17 Cell Inhibition in a Costimulation Blockade Based Regimen for Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation Using a Non-Human Primate Model. ATC 2020, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Moris D, Shaw BI, Ong C, Connor AA, Samoylova ML, Kesseli SJ, Abraham N, Gloria J, Schmitz R, Fitch ZW, Clary BM, Barbas AS. A Simple Scoring System to Estimate Perioperative Mortality Following Liver Resection for Primary Liver Malignancy - The Hepatectomy Risk Score (HeRS). AHPBA 2020, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- Moris D, Lim J, Shah KN, Blazer D, Lidsky M, Allen P, Zani S. Empiric nasogastric decompression after pancreaticoduodenectomy is not necessary. AHPBA 2019, Loews Hotel, Miami, FL, USA
- 2019 ASTS Resident Scientist Scholarship
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (MSc level) studies.
- Scholarship of Thorax Foundation for postdoctoral research
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (4th round) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of Foundation for Education and European culture (IPEP) for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- Scholarship of ‘’Alexander S. Onassis’’ Foundation for postgraduate (PhD level) studies
- ''Handedness, anatomical variations of cerebrovascular blood flow and strokes. Is there any correlation? Moris D, Bonatsos V, Georgopoulos S. 1st prize in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Prone positioning in ARDS. Bonatsos V, Moris D, Mentzelopoulos S, Roussos C. 1st prize as oral presentation in 16th Scientific Meeting of Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students in Aegli Zappeion, Athens, Greece
- Magna Cum laude ’’EXELLENT’’ 9.3/10 (1% in class-chosen to recite the oath at the graduation ceremony as the valedictorian of his class)
- Gold Medal in the 14th Olympiad of Medical Knowledge in the 4th International Forum of E.E.F.I.E
- Scholarship from the Greek National Scholarship Foundation (IKY) for excellence in Medical School in the season 2007-2008
- Honor in the National Contest of Mathematics of Greek Mathematic Society
- Scholarship of Petros Markides’ Endowment (3 rounds)
Machairas, Nikolaos, Diamantis I. Tsilimigras, and Demetrios Moris. “CD24 as a Novel Predictive Biomarker in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Friend or Foe?” Journal of Investigative Surgery : The Official Journal of the Academy of Surgical Research 33, no. 6 (July 2020): 542–43. https://doi.org/10.1080/08941939.2018.1538399.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Kota Sahara, Dimitrios Moris, J Madison Hyer, Anghela Z. Paredes, Fabio Bagante, Katiuscha Merath, et al. “Effect of Surgical Margin Width on Patterns of Recurrence among Patients Undergoing R0 Hepatectomy for T1 Hepatocellular Carcinoma: An International Multi-Institutional Analysis.” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery : Official Journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 24, no. 7 (July 2020): 1552–60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-019-04275-0.
Giannis, Dimitrios, Dimitrios Moris, Brian Ishum Shaw, and Spyridon Vernadakis. “Primary thoracic chondrosarcoma with intra-abdominal extension in a renal transplant recipient: A case report.” Molecular and Clinical Oncology 13, no. 1 (July 2020): 63–66. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2020.2034.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., Fabio Bagante, Dimitrios Moris, J Madison Hyer, Kota Sahara, Anghela Z. Paredes, Rittal Mehta, et al. “Recurrence Patterns and Outcomes after Resection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma within and beyond the Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Criteria.” Annals of Surgical Oncology 27, no. 7 (July 2020): 2321–31. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-08452-3.
Tsilimigras, Diamantis I., J Madison Hyer, Anghela Z. Paredes, Adrian Diaz, Dimitrios Moris, Alfredo Guglielmi, Luca Aldrighetti, et al. “A Novel Classification of Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma Phenotypes Using Machine Learning Techniques: An International Multi-Institutional Analysis.” Annals of Surgical Oncology, June 3, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-020-08696-z.
Moris, D. “Abbreviations in medical writings: Do they also abbreviate our science?” Journal of B.U.On. 25, no. 3 (June 1, 2020): 1274–76.