How to Apply
We are thrilled that you are considering applying to residency at Duke. We look forward to learning more about you.
We have 12 categorical residency training positions available per year to medical students through the match.
Only applicants received through the Electronic Residency Applications Service (ERAS) will be considered. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for medical student applicants and support the timetable set forth by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) for application to residencies.
Documents needed for a complete and competitive application file include:
- Medical school dean's letter
- Medical school transcript
- Standardized letter of evaluation from an emergency medicine rotation. Successful applicants to the program typically have one or more emergency medicine honors grades.
- Personal statement
- USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 and 2 scores.
- Prior to starting your internship, you must have passed Part 1, Part 2 CK, and Part 2 CS
- Letter from current chair/director if enrolled in another residency
International Medical Graduates: In addition to the above materials, we also require:
- Graduation from medical school within the past two years
- Must have passed the CSA as well as Steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE
- Current ECFMG certification and eligible for a J-1 Alien Physicians visa through ECFMG
Once the complete application is received, the residency selection committee will review it, and interviews will be granted by invitation. These interviews will occur on Tuesdays and Thursdays from early November to mid-January. The application deadline is October 15th.
If you have any questions, please contact the residency coordinator, Kim Brown, at 919-681-2247 or firstname.lastname@example.org