Ashley Johnston, MD
Clinical and Research Interests
- Pediatric urology specifically care of spina bifida patients
- Medical education and leadership
- Health services research
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- High operative volume with complex pathology
- Support to place graduates in both top-ranking fellowships and coveted private practice positions
- Diverse research opportunities that can be resident-led
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- Night float schedule
- Cohesive resident group with a variety of backgrounds/interests
- Protected research year - Duke ensures that we will be very productive providing a full 12 months of research time with minimal clinical duties
- Patient population - Diverse with regards to background and pathophysiology
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Being an intern is mentally and physically exhausting; however, you can be very successful if you simply remain organized, always follow through on tasks, communicate constantly, and work efficiently. If you're having a particularly difficult day, make time to touch base with your patients in person. You will be reminded why you chose this path and how much your efforts are valued by your patients.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
As a former New Englander, I love the temperate climate and greenery. Durham is a particularly easy place to live (i.e., no traffic, food/entertainment within 15 minutes), which becomes very important when your free time is limited. There is a plethora of outdoor activities including hiking trails with beautiful waterfalls, white water rafting, and paddle boarding.
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Tennis, snow, and water skiing
Honors and Awards
- Best Video, AUA Annual Meeting
- 1st Place Video Presentation, Annual Worldwide Congress of the Clinical Robotic Surgery Association
- Best Poster, AUA Annual Meeting
- Best Clinical Research, North Carolina Urological Association Annual Meeting
- Excellence in Research, American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress
- The Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation Endowment Fund
- 1st Place Podium Presentation, Duke Surgery Research Day
- SESAUA Health Policy Young Investigator Award
- Resident Travel Award, Society for Women in Urology
- Debate Winner, North Carolina Urological Association Annual Meeting
- Feagin Leadership Scholar, Duke University
- Appleseed Teaching Award, Duke University
- 1st Runner-Up, Best Video Presentation, European Society of Paediatric Urology
- Student Service Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Dean of Student Life Achievement Award, Johns Hopkins University
- Young Trustee Finalist, Johns Hopkins University Board of Trustees
- Top College Sexual Health Columnist, Elle magazine