Led by Daniel Buckland, MD, PhD, a physician in the Division of Emergency Medicine and Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, the focus of the Duke Acute Care Technology Laboratory (DACTL) is on the development of safety critical technology solutions for acute medical conditions at the interface of Data Science, Robotics, and Human Health. We have a special interest in resource-limited operations, including human spaceflight, rural medicine, wilderness medicine, or even well-resourced academic medical center emergency rooms when dealing with the logistics of operating in the current era of medical care.
We are engineers and physicians collaborating on solving acute clinical problems through technology.
- NASA-funded study to develop an autonomous IV placement robot
- Data Science projects predicting near-term health outcomes with the Duke Institute for Health Innovation (DIHI) and the Laboratory for Transformative Administration (Dept of Surgery)
- Development of drone networks to deliver medical care to Durham-area patients
- Daniel Buckland
- Brandon Ruderman
- PhD Student: Siobhan Oca
- PhD Student: Nicolas Garside
- AI.Health@Duke Fellow: Hamed Zaribafzadeh
- AI.Health@Duke Fellow: Connor Davis
Development of drone networks to deliver acute medical care to reduce time to care over existing EMS systems.
- Starks, M.A., Blewer, A.L., Sharpe, E., Van Vleet, L., Riley, J., Arnold, E., Slattery, J., Joiner, A., Buckland, D.M., Ye, J. and Mark, D., 2020. Bystander performance during simulated drone delivery of an AED for mock out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 75(11 Supplement 1), p.303.
- Ye, J.J., Zhang, C., Vissoci, J.R.N. and Buckland, D., 2019. Optimizing a Drone Network to Deliver Naloxone. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 74(4), p.S64.
- Buckland, D.M., Mark, D.B., Banerjee, A.G., Snyder, K. and Starks, M.A., 2019, March. Design Considerations for UAV-Delivered Opioid Overdose Interventions. In 2019 IEEE Aerospace Conference (pp. 1-7). IEEE.
- Duke Robotics: https://robotics.pratt.duke.edu
- Brain Tool Lab: https://sites.duke.edu/braintool/
- Duke Institute for Health Innovation: https://dihi.org/
- NASA Johnson Space Center Element for Exploration Medical Care
- NASA Johnson Space Center H3PO Lab
- AI.Health@Duke Program
Able to consider clinical or research fellowships in medical technology development.
Collaborate with Us
Please contact Dan Buckland (email@example.com) for more information or potential collaborations.
Visit the Duke Acute Care Technology Laboratory website for up-to-date news and job openings for students.