Thoracic oncology; general thoracic surgery; benign and malignant disease of the lung, esophagus, and mediastinum; advanced airway and thoracoscopic surgery; hyperhidrosis palmaris; mesothelioma
A. Non-small cell lung cancer
1. Evaluation of serum and tissue molecular biologic markers of recurrence in patients with a localize non-small cell lung cancer.
2. Molecular biologic staging of lymph nodes in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
3. The evaluation of the clonality of metastatic tumors in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.
B. Clinical research activities
1. Creation of a prospective database for the Duke Thoracic Oncology Program.
2. A cost and satisfaction evaluation of thoracoscopy and open thoracotomy in patients.
3. Development of risk associated models of morbidity in patients undergoing general thoracic surgery procedures: The VA Cooperative Surgical Risk Study
4. A member of the Duke Gastrointestinal Malignancy Research Committee, developing esophageal cancer treatment protocols and outcome studies.